How to Improve Your Posture
Proper body posture is important not only because of how it makes you look and feel, but also because it helps you reduce the risk of chronic pain and fatigue and spinal disease. Having bad posture slumps your spine and makes it more difficult for your blood to circulate properly. In addition, it can also strain your body and cause tremendous fatigue in your muscles and joints, leading to constant back and neck pain. Worst of all, bad posture can increase your risk of developing spinal disorders, such as herniated discs, osteoporosis, and scoliosis.
NY Chiropractic offers tips on how patients can improve their posture and avoid suffering from spinal disorders and their symptoms. Chiropractors believe that having good posture is one way to ensure that your spine is healthy, so here are some tips on how you can improve your posture:
- When sitting, keep your head straight and your shoulders back and relaxed.
- When standing, try to keep your shoulders and your back aligned. Avoid sticking your chest out and make sure that you do not stay in the same position for a long period of time.
- When sleeping, sleep on your side or back and avoid sleeping on your stomach.
- Try to change your physical routine every 30 minutes. If you are at the office, take some time to stand for a few minutes or walk around the office. Avoid sticking to a single position like sitting or standing for several hours.
- Wear comfortable shoes if you will be standing for a long period of time. If possible, wear flat shoes. It is not recommended that women wear heels if they will be standing for a long period of time.
- Buy a firm mattress to provide support to your entire body. In addition to using a pillow under your head, also put a pillow in between your knees. Avoid stacking too many pillows beneath your head, as it strains your neck.
- Avoid slouching. This contributes to spinal curvature, which can lead to spinal disorders and pain.
Esprit Wellness (Find us on Facebook)